Ford Motor Company - Highland Park Plant
15050 Woodward Avenue
Highland Park, MI 48203
Public Access: No
State Register Date: July 17, 1997
State Marker Erected: September 30, 1997
About the Ford Motor Company - Highland Park Plant
The Ford Motor Company Highland Park Plant was built between 1909 and 1920 on the lot bounded by Woodward, Manchester and Oakland Avenues, and three railroad tracks. An office building, a garage and several machine shops once stood on this portion of the site. At this plant, Ford instituted the ""five dollar day,"" a generous wage for the time. In factory ""H"", he began mass producing automobiles on moving assembly lines. Detroit architect Albert Kahn designed the complex, which included offices, factories, a power plant and a foundry. In 1927, Ford shifted auto production to the River Rouge Plant in Dearborn, limiting Highland Park to truck and tractor manufacturing. The Highland Park Plant is a National Historic Landmark."