Gregor S. and Elizabeth B. Affleck House
1925 North Woodward Avenue
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Public Access: Yes
State Register Date: January 19, 1978
National Register Date: October 3, 1985
About the Gregor S. and Elizabeth B. Affleck House
The Affleck House is a brick and cypress raised Usonian house designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Sited in a wooded natural amphitheater, the house nestles along a gentle grade before its living area cantilevers dramatically over a small stream bed. Constructed in 1940, the house achieves special significance as an outstanding example of Wright's pre-World War II Usonian residential designs. Beginning in the 1920s, Frank Lloyd Wright's argument that modern cities were no longer habitable led him to develop his solution for urban problems-- Broadacre City. Wright used ""Usonia"" as his substitute for the reformed, future ""America"" of Broadacre City, and he used the Usonians as his solution to the ""small house problem."" These Usonians-- and in particular the pre-World War II designs-- were a direct response to the changes in the lifestyles of his clients and their needs for a low-cost but satisfying dwelling. After its purchased by Lawrence Technological University, the house has attracted thousands of visitors."