Germantown/ Harmonie Club
Harmonie Park East - Grand River at Centre Street
Detroit, MI 48226
Public Access: Yes
State Register Date: 2001
State Marker Erected: 2001
About the Germantown/ Harmonie Club
The historic marker commemorates the legacy of German immigrants to Detroit, who began arriving in the city during the 1830s. By 1880, one-fifth of the city's population were German natives. Many of these immigrants first settled in an area known as Germantown, that was filled with a variety of shops and business. Built in 1895, the Beaux Arts style Harmonie Club housed Detroit's oldest musical association, the Harmonie Society. Designed by German-American architect Richard E. Raseman, the Beaux Arts structure was a Germantown landmark. The Club hosted functions by German, as well as, other ethnic groups."